Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Change as a lifestyle

We move. A lot. A LOT.

Even other military families think we move a lot.

We moved here to Ohio just last summer and bought a house, thinking we would be here for years. But my husband's office reorganized. Fortunately, he was able to get a position back in the DC area, where we just left last summer.

So, we are moving back to DC. This summer. We pretty much move annually.

We've moved in 1991, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, and now 2009.

That's twelve moves.

We've lived in San Antonio, Boston, England, Indiana, Ohio, Hawaii, Washington State, Alabama, DC, Ohio again, and now DC again.

Is this insane? This may be completely insane. This may explain a lot. This may be the excuse for everything.

But I refuse to think of it that way. You can be wounded from all this change, or you can gain strength from it. You can embrace!

It is very easy for me to embrace going back to DC. I loved it there. I loved my children's school, our neighborhood, our friends. I didn't love our rental house so much, so now we've got a different house that's pretty amazing. Near Metro! Near the park! Walking distance to school!

I am a very lucky person, that I get to go live where I want to live. When I'm on the other side of this move, I will feel luckier.